Sign makers design, create and install all types of signs, including those with lights and motion. These signage systems also are called environmental graphics. Traditional sign makers use art supplies to create their works. Modern sign makers use computer-aided design programs and modern materials such as neon and metal.
Why do Sign Writers require professional indemnity insurance?
The basic duties of sign writer are outlined below :
- Talk to clients to find out their requirements, and provide miniature colour sketches if required;
- select suitable materials for signs such as timber, plastic, metal or glass;
- prepare surfaces (by filling any holes, sanding and cleaning), and then mix the oil
- paint, enamel, plastic paint, poster colour or varnish;
- sketch letters or draw with a template (pattern), paint the background if required, and then paint the sign;
- create two-dimensional or three-dimensional lettering and graphics, using computer operated machinery;
- design wall murals, screen prints, gold-leaf work and custom-vehicle art
A Sign writer has to perform all of the above mentioned services efficiently or this may lead to a claim against him .Thus all practicing Sign Writers should maintain Professional Indemnity Insurance policy for financial security in the event that a claim arises and has to be defended.
Public Liability Insurance for Sign Writers
If you or any of your employees visit a customers premises your actions could cause an injury to another person. Similarly, if an accident happens whilst a member of the public comes to your place of business and they are injured you could be held liable. Public Liability Insurance protects you in the event that such accidents occur and a claim is subsequently made against you.
Public liability insurance also covers you if damage is caused to third party property while at the customers business. An example would be if an employee broke a valuable item while making a delivery at a customer's home. The claim to replace the item would be covered by public liability insurance.
Key exposures for Sign Writers :
- Negligence in management of designs and sketches.
- Failure in submitting work in time.
- Damage or theft of designs as a result of poor procedures/supervision by the insured.
- Negligence in organizing schedules.
- Negligence in delivery of designs.
- Infringement of copyright, plagiarism or piracy.
- Vicarious liability as a result of Printers E&O, ie providing sign of an incorrect designs which leads to additional costs.
Why purchase your Professional Indemnity Insurance through Express Insurance?
With Express Insurance, you can source a PI quote in seconds, and have the option of adding Public Liability Insurance. You can then proceed to buy the insurance and produce your Certificate of Insurance in minutes, or alternatively save the quote back to your email account for buying later.
And we save your details on Renewal of your insurance, making the process of renewing your PI Insurance even easier and quicker.
Throughout your experience with us our team of highly experienced PI specialists are a phone call away !
Please Note: Coverage under the policy will be subject to the particular circumstances relating to a claim and the full terms and conditions of the policy.
PI premiums are determined by your Turnover and PL Premiums by the number of staff under your employ. All insurers charge a minimum premium in both respects.
We believe we have negotiated highly competitive premiums for both classes of insurance, and will continue to monitor premium levels available in the market to ensure this remains the case.
Premiums vary between states as a result of differing stamp duty rates, however our minimum Total Premiums for Professional Indemnity start from $602 (incl. GST).
From a compliance prespective and your own protection you should have a minimum level of Professional Indemnity(PI) insurance. In the event that the services you provide for a client lead to a claim against that client they will generally look at claiming against the provider. PI insurance will protect you in the event that this occurs.
We have designed the Insurance application process so that it takes an average of 5 minutes to complete your application. In most cases your application will be instantly approved online, and you can print your Confirmation of Insurance to prove that you have the requisite cover in place... It's that easy !! All other documentation, such as your tax invoice, policy schedule and policy wording will be emailed directly to you for your records.
If the policy can't be issued immediately because we require further information, we will contact you generally the same day.
Approximately one month prior to the renewal of your policy you will receive a renewal reminder with a link that will allow you to review your previous years cover and renew the policy even quicker!
* We have minimized the number of referral situations so that most applications will be automatically accepted. However if for example you have prior claims we will contact you to facilitate completion of your application personally with the Insurer.
Your Insurance policy is arranged by Express Insurance acting as an agent of Berkley Insurance Australia, a registered business name of Berkley Insurance Company (ABN 53 126 559 706) and part of the W.R.Berkley Corporation.
Berkley Insurance Australia underwrites a significant portfolio of general insurance business in Australia. They are fully authorised and regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulator Authority (APRA) which is the predential regulator of the Australian financial services industry.
There financial strength rating of Berkley Insurance Australia is "A+(Strong)" by Standard & Poor's.
For each policy completed online we make a donation to Skin & Cancer Foundation.
About Skin & Cancer Foundation
The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc is a not-for-profit, DGR registered, organisation which provides specialist treatment, education and research for a wide variety of skin disorders, skin cancers and melanomas.
We will work with you to ensure that claims are handled in a professional manner and that you get a fair outcome from the Insurer. The first step is to lodge your claim as outlined below.
Please complete the claim form via the link below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org