Nutritionists are health professionals who advise patients or clients on the principles of good nutrition and the planning of diets and menus. Often; they work in hospitals or other care facilities, including nursing homes or schools cafeterias.
Why do Nutritionists need professional indemnity insurance?
A nutritionist's job description often includes control of the catering establishments, monitoring compliance with food standards, preparing menus, calculating energy and biological value of the food. The basic duties of Nutritionists are to:
- Determine the serving of meals for patients, depending on their health and their needs
- Oversee the preparation and accuracy of the rules of hygiene during food serving
- Inform patients about possible changes of the menu during the treatment at home
Nutrition's work is quite sensitive and mistakes can lead to a claim. Thus all Nutrition's should keep Professional Indemnity Insurance for financial security in the event that a claim arises and has to be defended.
Public Liability Insurance for Nutritionists
If you or any of your employees visit a customers premises your actions could cause an injury to another person. Similarly, if an accident happens whilst a member of the public comes to your place of business and they are injured you could be held liable. Public Liability Insurance protects you in the event that such accidents occur and a claim is subsequently made against you.
Public liability insurance also covers you if damage is caused to third party property while at the customers business. An example would be if an employee broke a valuable item while making a delivery at a customer's home. The claim to replace the item would be covered by public liability insurance.
Key exposures for Nutritionists:
- Failure in Providing accurate documentation for measuring changes in participants nutritional status
- Negligence in Informing patients about possible changes of the menu during the treatment at home
- Wrong nutrition recommendation made by mistake to prevent and cure patients
Please Note: Coverage under the policy will be subject to the particular circumstances relating to a claim and the full terms and conditions of the policy.