Counsellors and Social workers assist people by helping them to cope with and solve issues in their everyday lives, such as family and personal problems and dealing with relationships. Some social workers help clients who face a disability, life-threatening disease, social problem, such as inadequate housing, unemployment, or substance abuse. Social workers also assist families that have serious domestic conflicts, sometimes involving child or spousal abuse.
Why do Counsellors & Social Workers require Professional Indemnity Insurance?
Social workers and Counsellors work for the betterment and welfare of society. There basic responsibilities include:
- Collecting data about patients through interview, case history, psychological tests, and/or observational techniques; evaluate data to identify causes of problems and to determine proper therapeutic approach or referral to other specialists
- Consulting with other therapists and related professionals and paraprofessional staff, as appropriate, in the performance of therapeutic and/or casework; referring clients to appropriate service agencies as required
- Participating in the review of clinical issues and program policies and procedures
- Participating in, leading, and/or coordinating training sessions and workshops to enhance treatment skills
- Providing and/or arranging therapeutic interventions as appropriate for patients or clients in a crisis condition and for those with serious disturbance problems
- Providing casework management of a specialized caseload, as appropriate to the requirements of the individual position; performing research and case assessments; preparing individualized studies for admission, placement, and/or discharge, as applicable
- Providing counseling, therapy, and/or psychotherapy to clients and families; preparing treatment plans, discharge plans, and follow-up care programs; providing therapeutic crisis intervention and emergency services as required
As Social workers and Counsellors, you need to be careful in the performance of these duties. Giving the wrong or misleading advice might lead to an action for damages against you. Having Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance protects you from financial loss as it will provide you with financial assistance in defending claims and any damages payable.
Public Liability Insurance for Counsellors & Social Workers
If you or any of your employees visit a customers premises your actions could cause an injury to another person. Similarly, if an accident happens whilst a member of the public comes to your place of business and they are injured you could be held liable. Public Liability Insurance protects you in the event that such accidents occur and a claim is subsequently made against you.
Public liability insurance also covers you if damage is caused to third party property while at the customers business. An example would be if an employee broke a valuable item while making a delivery at a customer's home. The claim to replace the item would be covered by public liability insurance.
Key exposures for Counsellors & Social Workers:
- Copyright and trademark infringement
- Negligence in providing support services
- Failure to develop appropriate programs and services.
- Negligence in counseling clients
- Wrong advice given to clients
- Negligence in rehabilitation of clients
- Negligence in training clients on how to deal with daily activities.
Please Note: Coverage under the policy will be subject to the particular circumstances relating to a claim and the full terms and conditions of the policy.